JAGUAR MARK IV BERLINA MANUFACTURED 1948, 6 CYLINDER, 3500CC, TOTAL NUMBER PRODUCED 254, LHD.
The one to have! The first model to be produced under the Jaguar badge following the transcendence from Swallow Sidecars (SS Jaguars). The model was produced immediately after the war between 1945 and 1949 with the three engine sizes and a variety of body options. This model having the Berlina 4 door with the opening front screen.
This particular vehicle was originally manufactured on 15th June 1948 and was despatched on 29th June 1948 to the distributor Hoffman of New York City, USA. She was then exported to Spain in the 1950’s where she has been until 2014 when she was brought to the UK. She has undergone a full mechanical overhaul for the past year by Classic Restoration and Service Ltd in Chichester. It is thought that no work had been carried out on the vehicle for the past 20 years or more, but she had been stored well in a dry climate. There is no sign of any rust on the body or underneath. The original documents show that she was a black body with red interior, as she stands today and one would think that the bulk of the car is original.
The engine has had an extensive check over and a new inlet manifold was necessary to house the reconditioned carburettors. The independent chassis is rust free, it has also been cleaned protected and repainted and the leaf springs have been rebuilt as they had lost their tensile strength. A thorough brake overhaul has also been carried out. The car drives really well and accelerates easily up through the gears and cruises happily at 60mph on the open road with more to spare. The car has recently passed through an MOT and will be able to be registered on the road in the UK with a new V5 and registration number from 1949.